Paul works with large format (4x5 view camera) using a 144 megapixel Betterlight scanner that is tethered to a laptop computer the Hasselblad H3DII 39 megapixel medium format camera as well as the Nikon D800e. Photographs are printed as limited editions using ultrachrome inks on 100% cotton photo rag archival papers, a state of the art printing method widely recognized for its rich color quality, archival pigment permanence, and superlative sharpness and detail.
From early childhood the artist in Paul was encouraged by his mother Betty who was an art teacher. He attended Art Center College of design in a special program for high school students for two years and worked as graphic artist while attending Santa Ana J.C. and Fullerton College. Paul helped start a graphic design firm in Newport Beach in 1975 and worked in Southern California until 1980. He moved to the San Joaquin Valley to work as Art Director for Normart Advertising. From 1983 until present Paul has been the owner of Mullins Studio, a creative service to the marketing and advertising needs of Central California. In 1990 Mullins Studio added photography as a service and it has evolved into 90% of the studio’s work.The camera has provided him with an opportunity to use his creativity in a new dimension. Paul’s favorite assignments take him outside where he feels most passionate and at home doing what he calls "Divine Art Reproduction".
"I love spending time with the Divine Designer and His masterpieces, slowing down enough to see them as an expression of the Creators glory and divine nature, then reproducing them with the camera. My photographic vision of nature is only an attempt to see God and His art more clearly as I browse the one man show in nature’s gallery."
Photos have appeared in Sierra Press Book - Yosemite National Park, Yosemite Sierra Visitors Guide, Sunset Magazine, Valley Views Magazine, Fresno Magazine, How Magazine, The Ultimate in Graphic Designer’s and Illustrator’s Self-Promotion book, and many landscape images have been selected for use in over 20 various calendars.
- One by One Leadership award for community service in the area of media.
- 21 Addy awards for excellence in photography, corporate ID, self promotion, advertising and collateral materials.
- National Building Industry MIRM awards for direct mail campaign and newspaper advertising.
- How Magazine’s best in self promotion.
- American Institute of Architects, Hanna Barsam Award in Photography
- Saint Agnes Hospital has over eighty photographs in their permanent collection.
- Sierra Pacific Orthopedic Center, 19 images in their permanent collection.
- William Saroyan Theater, Fresno Philharmonic, solo exhibition.
- Dirk Weingartz Gallery, Mayen Germany, solo exhibition.
- Quady Winery Exhibit
- KJEWL solo exhibition
- Fresno City Hall, Fresno Arts Council solo exhibition
- Fresno Art Museum, Wilderness exhibit
When Paul isn't outdoors taking pictures he's in the studio or on-location capturing images for his commercial clients. Paul's commercial photography studio can be found at mullinsstudio.com.